The importance of establishing a separate program for women and children was recommended during the 43rd Colombo Plan Consultative Committee Meeting in Manado, Indonesia, in 2012. As a result, the Colombo Plan Gender Affairs Program was established on 7 May 2014 in Colombo to work together with women, men, girls and boys to promote a just and equitable society in collaboration with stakeholders through the following objectives:
- To increase awareness on gender equality, gender development, women’s legal rights and gender issues among the developing member states through workshops and training.
- To raise funds on gender capacity building and direct empowerments such as income generating programs, education programs and health programs.
- To conduct research on gender and child issues and development.
- To share knowledge and experiences on gender and children among the member countries.
- To represent the Colombo Plan in international forums on gender and children and discussions, to upgrade the knowledge and to share our experiences.
- To assist member countries to formulate their policies according to the global gender standards and norms.
- To support member countries through government and non-government agencies to implement the global/UN standards of gender and children.
The CPGAP works with Governments and stakeholders by providing trainings, workshops, technical assistance in developing gender policies and support gender related capacity building and direct empowerment programs for vulnerable men, women and children across its 27 member states.
Upcoming Projects and Events
- Gender Responsive Budget training for Government officials in Thailand
- Women’s Entrepreneurship Development project in Sri Lanka
- 4th Gender Focal Point Conference: Vietnam, 2019
Afghan Women Shelter Fund Capacity Development
of Implementing Partners
Launch of the “Empowering Future Women Leaders” training